Re: Guidelines for using notes

Subject: Re: Guidelines for using notes
From: Rick Lippincott <rjl6955 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Sreekanth Athikunte <sreekanth -dot- athikunte -at- tcs -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:11:16 -0400

Hi Sreekanth:

I assume that by âNoteâ you mean âadditional information that you put
into a procedure under some sort of a heading that says NOTE at the
top.â

My feeling on how to do what you described regarding bullets or
numbered items isâdonât do it.

Generally speaking, things that come under a âNoteâ heading should be
âthis is helpful to know, but if you donât actually read this Note you
can still successfully complete the procedure.â Most (if not all) of
the specifications that define use of a âNoteâ header say something to
this effect.

ANSI 535.6 uses âNoticeâ for this level of admonition and isnât
specific, but the same general rule sounds like a good practice.

My feeling is that if there is enough information to add that you need
to make a list, the best way to do it is to incorporate the
information directly into the procedure.

If they're not using a standard where you are, I would recommend the
ANSI doc (unless you're in a field that has a specific specification
for documents, in which case go with that of course.)

Hope that helps

--Rick Lippincott
Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT