Re: New writer looking for advice

Subject: Re: New writer looking for advice
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: carolyn223 palo <carolynpalo -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 06:52:21 -0700

Honestly, it doesn't really matter what laptop brand you get, as long as it
runs the software you will need to use. Both work out to be the same cost
when you customize a Windows laptop to match the specs of a MacBook.

The most important difference to me is the quality of the screen display.
You'll be spending a long time looking at the screen so it should be crisp
to view, and easy on the eyes. Yes, you can always make up for a bad
display by adding a large screen LED monitor. But then this defeats the
purpose of having a laptop.

Macs tend to have better screen display quality. I feel less concerned
about working long hours on my Mac than I do with my work Windows laptop.

However if the program head at the school recommends a PC (Windows) then
perhaps you might want to get their recommended machine specifications.

So more questions than answers:
* what programs will you be running?
* what industry are you looking to serve?
* do you prefer to work in one location or move around a lot?
* do you want to run Mac software with the option to run Windows, or
just stick to Windows?

And of course, when you get a job the company will usually provide you with
a workspace and computer. So your laptop will mostly be used for your home
stuff or contract work.

Cheers,
-Tony

Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT