Acrobat XI Pro text recognition problem

Subject: Acrobat XI Pro text recognition problem
From: Kaye Adkins <kadkinsphd -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 18:42:31 -0500

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments you can offer--even if it's
that there is no solution.

Here's my situation--We (my technical documentation class) are revising a
set of manuals for a local museum. We will deliver the manuals as PDFs.
Some of the material came to us a PDFs, some as print copies, and some as
Word documents.

I'm putting together instructions for maintaining the manuals using Acrobat
Pro (the Manual Maintenance Manual, as we like to call it). I've
encountered a problem with the PDFs:

Acrobat recognizes the text in the PDFs--you can select and copy it,
highlight, and so on. What you can't do is actually edit it. When I open
the "Editing text & Images" tool, I don't get the usual boxes around
paragraphs of text that allow me to edit, delete, and insert words.
Instead, Acrobat seems to see the whole page as an uneditable image.

I want to make it easy for them to edit the manuals. I don't want to tell
them they have to save the section they want to edit as a Word document,
edit, and then cycle back to PDF, mainly because they PDFs include
hyperlinks and bookmarks. And they need to be in PDF because of the
original materials and also because staffers will access the manuals
through Acrobat Reader, and thus not accidentally change the text.

I've never run across anything like this before. Any ideas what is
happening and how we can make this text editable?

Thanks again.

Kaye Adkins

--
Less may be more, but you can't do more with less.
Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT