RE: Using Auto Screen Shot Tools ~ Are They Helpful?

Subject: RE: Using Auto Screen Shot Tools ~ Are They Helpful?
From: Jill Gallagher <jill -dot- gallagher -at- outlook -dot- com>
To: "Janoff, Steven" <steven -dot- janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 16:16:27 -0700

In retrospect, I would have written my email without the snarky description of the encounter. ;)
Because my original email already read like a novel, I hesitated to describe all of the details of my reaction to the auto tool suggestion. In addition, I could have described the level of our need for screen shots and the complexity of our health care industry software, which would have been helpful.
My original email says that I told them, "I'll look into it next week."
But I also emphatically told them that I'm open to and interested in new things; it's just that it's Friday at 3:30 and I'm immersed in a project and I'm too exhausted to look into it at present.
So I inadvertently sounded as though I'm not open to new ideas from others. That's not the case. On countless occasions throughout my career (and personal life) I have always been open to new ideas from others, including co-workers at any level and in any department.
The Project Manager said that the auto screen shot tool WOULD be instrumental in the development of my documentation moving forward; that it would greatly enhance the speed of my process.
So my real question is about the viability and usefulness of auto screen shot tools for use in the day-to-day development of complex software user documentation. Is my method of grabbing each one as I go just as good or better? I was looking for insight from others who may have used such a tool. And I needed validation: Am I or am I not going about this screen grabbing properly under my specific circumstances?
Whew! :)
Regards,
Jill

Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT