Re: Possessive form of name ending with apostrophe?

Subject: Re: Possessive form of name ending with apostrophe?
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 20:07:11 -0500

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 18:37:14 -0500, Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com> wrote:

Clearly the possessive of Achanteâ should be Achanteâs.

Did the parents think they were spelling Enchantà or perhaps EnchantÃe?

The apostrophe is probably used instead of the accent because school systems and birth registries do not have (or formerly did not have) equipment to handle diacritical marks.

When I run across names that are clearly supposed to be something intended to appear French, I am -so- tempted to "correct" them into real French.

I think the temptation comes not only from my tech-writing hat, but from my early training in proofreading for the family newspaper. For anyone who wonders, "Press time is two AM!" is a much more important consideration than, "I have to fix another typo."

As for made-up names, most of know someone with a name that was modified at immigration, as was Dan* Goldstein**'s

*made up several thousand years ago
**made up centuries ago, I guess; my great-grandfather adopted this name when he got to New York, to replace "BrzÃza"

The name BrzÃza is a place in Poland. Nobody knows how to pronounce it. Well, at least I don't. Mssng wvvls.
Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT