Suitable applilcation to help build a glosary for CE translation

Subject: Suitable applilcation to help build a glosary for CE translation
From: David Harrison <dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com>
To: techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 14:28:03 +0000

Hi all

While looking at the proverbial question of getting more translation on less budget we are heading towards machine translation with post editing.
But first I need to build a technical glossary and I feel I ought to be able to extract right words manually . So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a satisfactory application which can text mine the collection of existing manuals which are written mostly in Indesign and output as pdf files. I want a final report containing all the exclusive text which is not within the normal Controlled English dictionary.
I trawled both the Techwr-l site and the internet but to no avail. I have found one or two companies who will do the job for you. But we are cash poor and time rich just now so I would like to at least try to do it alone.
Does anyone here have advice on
a) An application or a methodology I ought to consider buying or trying
b) Major pitfalls that suggest going it alone is a bad idea
Thanks in advance guys

David
David Harrison | Controllers
Mold-Masters (UK) Limited | Global Melt Delivery and Process Control Technology
Netherwood Road | Rotherwas ind. Est. | Hereford | HR2 6JU | United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 1432 265 768 | Fax: +44 (0) 1432 263 782
mailto:dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com | www.moldmasters.com | A MILACRON COMPANY
Registered in England No. 1912861

Visit us at NPE 2015 - Booth W2703 - register for your FREE guest pass, compliments of the Milacron Group: http://www.npeguestpass.org/759

Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT