RE: FrameMaker book hauntings

Subject: RE: FrameMaker book hauntings
From: "David Artman" <david -at- davidartman -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L Writing" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 07:51:41 -0700

Yeah, that is bizarre.

If this happens when you've saved the MIF to FM and then rebuilt the
book explicitly usingONLY the FM* then you've got some kind of serious
bug or perhaps a rogue plug-in (or plug-in setting, or script)
regarding file saving. I've never, ever seen Frame 'force' a FM file to
save as MIF *and* be changed to MIF in the BOOK file from which it was
opened.

And it's your symptoms around saving that make me suspect a plug-in;
frex, one designed toconvert all FM to MIF and all FM references to MIF
so that the file set can be checked into a plain-text-diffing CVS
(i.e., so that only the *deltas* are saved in the CVS version-tracker
database, not a brand-new binary FM file every check-in).

If you aren't running any such plug-ins, and if this is sudden
behaviorr (i.e., it hasn't always done this and only now do you want to
take control) then I'd look at rebuilding my working system from the OS
up. A day of careful application installation beats a wek of banging
your head on file manipulations and blind setting stabs.

Maybe someone with a lot of plug-in or script experience could look at
your maker.ini and some other files typically changed by a plug-in, to
see where to start hunting a specific culprit...?

HTH;

David