Re: Resume styles

Subject: Re: Resume styles
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 12:54:46 -0500

Admiral Hyman Rickover invented the stress interview (or so I have heard), in which the candidate (for nuclear submarine operations or command) was subject to unexpected difficulties, such as an impossible chair. His purpose was to see what you did.

My very first interview with a high-tech company, when fresh out of college, was a stress interview, but I did not know that until years later. The result of the interview was that I declined to be employed by them. Perhaps they were looking for COBOL programmers who could command a submarine, but I doubt it. Instead I think that they merely had one of the Admiral's deck hands doing interviews.

Selection does not always work out as expected. For example, when you do a telephone survey or a computer survey, you get responses only from those with phones or computers. ("Dewey Defeats Truman") When you do a stress interview you get rid of those who reject the technique as unethical.

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 02:16:42 -0500, Dave C <davec2468 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

Iâm not Elisa nor do I play her on TV. (c;

I think she is saying that it is possible that the critique of Chrisâ resume was done strictly to trigger a reaction and watch how he responds, how he âdefends his workâ as someone said. Judging his character and professionalism, as it were.

Then again the guy might just be a jerk and Chris should run away. Fast.

It has struck me that this is a fine group of people who have come to the aid of one of their own and offered many perspectives and creative suggestions. A fine collection of talent. Iâm learning much here.

Dave
Chief Lurker

-=-=-=-

Elisa, could you explain what you mean by your comment?

"In a case like this, I would not rule out the possibility that the critique
of the resume is a red herring."

Kathleen
Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1pJ4zPa