RE: Resume styles

Subject: RE: Resume styles
From: Michael Wyland <michael -at- sumptionandwyland -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 22:46:03 +0000

To all:

My wife/partner does executive coaching, which sometimes involves consulting on a client's resume. I have consulted with nonprofit hospitals and other charities seeking executives. We've seen a lot of bad resumes!

We have two or three reference guides filled with resume styles and formats. There is no single "best" resume format. Variables include the industry and position, the strengths of the applicant to be highlighted, etc. Look at a variety of formats and choose the one(s) that "fit" in your situation.

In almost all cases, resumes should be both easily readable and easily machine-readable. Think about tailoring the resume to the position being sought and the employer's industry - you may be well-served having three "basic" resume versions to customize when an interesting position becomes available.

"Alignment" is key. Be sure your resume, your LinkedIn profile, and your cover letter don't conflict with each other. Avoid confusing the prospective employer.

Cover letters are a double-edged sword. They can help an applicant whose resume is good enough to attract attention, or they can demonstrate the applicant's lack of writing skill. For the members of this forum, the cover letter should be a real opportunity to shine! However, remember that the bar of evaluation is raised for anyone with the word "writer" in their title.

It's assumed that the resume and cover letter are your best work because it's assumed they're so important to getting a job. The challenge is that few people have extensive experience in applying for jobs, so "skills mastery" doesn't often happen with job application materials.

Michael L. Wyland
Sumption & Wyland
818 South Hawthorne Avenue
Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57104-4537