Re: Responsibility

Subject: Re: Responsibility
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 09:50:11 -0500

I'll bet they want someone who is NOT a DW jockey, but who instead can see the problems at a deeper level, likely able to distinguish between HTML problems and database-server problems. They are almost certainly trying to replace someone who was adamant about avoiding DW as the sole method for doing the job, and who probably had come in and cleaned up after a naive DW person. I think they need real technical expertise, but are stuck having to call the person an editor, perhaps because their budget does not allow them to hire another software developer.

They're in a rather rural area, and might be trying to cast a wide net while still avoiding people whose only HTML experience is DW.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 07:44:21 -0500, Paul Hanson <twer_lists_all -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:

I just came across a job ad for a Technical Editor. This was listed as a
responsibility:

Create web pages without Dreamweaver or other HTML editor and troubleshoot HTML style issues, tag issues, etc.

My first reaction is that, within Dreamweaver, I know there is a menu option
that will validate your code. If I was troubleshooting "style issues, tag
issues, etc", I would probably fire up DW and paste the existing code into
the HTML editor window pane of DW and validate the code to at least give me a starting point. I'd also use the HTML validator that the W3 site has.

My second reaction is that they want a person who understands HTML tags and doesn't believe a proper web page is saving a Word doc as HTML and calling it a web page, which I think is a valid request since "technical" is in the title's position.

What is your reaction to it?
Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1pJ4zPa