Re: free editor that can sort HTML tables?

Subject: Re: free editor that can sort HTML tables?
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 07:17:00 -0500

I've not followed this thread, but whenever I encounter a difficulty that requires complicated massaging of data that is in something approximating regular ASCII text I think about using emacs. Emacs nowadays can apparently handle not only UTF-8 but UTF-16 characters, even though it predates those concepts by decades. It's not the right tool for handling ordinary MS-WROD or Frame files.

Creating keyboard macros, using them, and storing them for future use is a piece of cake in emacs. Unfortunately emacs itself is decidedly not a piece of cake. Instead it is a complicated dinner table where one must learn to use the wrong fork. For example, CTRL-A does not mean "select all" but instead is "move-beginning-of-line" and CTRL-X is a prefix for an entire nest of commands. "CTRL-X (" is
kmacro-start-macro and CTRL-X )" is kmacro-end-macro. They delimit the capture of a keyboard macro. "CTRL-X e" executes the just-captured macro, and "CTRL-X CTRL-K n" lets you give your new macro a name, so that you can use it in other macros.

Emacs is totally and completely free, except for the time and effort required to learn it. Perhaps its best feature is that it is not MS-WROD.

I've been using emacs since slightly after it appeared, and all the common emacs commands are built into my fingers.

See http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ for details.

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 00:45:13 -0500, Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net> wrote:

If it is something you can do in Word or Excel, then I would try do a bunch of it with macros.

On 11/13/2014 11:07 AM, Robert Lauriston wrote:
No, the way Confluence lays out the source makes doing it by hand
extremely difficult. Even a fairly short table takes up more than one
screen in a text editor.

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l