RE: Flat files in Flare, vs. DITA in CCMS

Subject: RE: Flat files in Flare, vs. DITA in CCMS
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 01:09:15 +0000

Thanks. All good stuff. Interesting backstory.

Steve

On Friday, September 26, 2014 5:33 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

Flare is fundamentally similar to RoboHelp HTML, which is intentional, since Flare was conceived as an upgrade path for RoboHelp users.
Macromedia bought eHelp to get RoboDemo, put RoboHelp on the shelf, and laid off most or all of the RoboHelp developers, some of whom started MadCap. Adobe later bought Macromedia and brought RoboHelp back from the dead. RoboDemo became Captivate.

Flare topic source is XHTML, which is just a strict subset of HTML.
Topics are organized by TOCs, which Flare's text processing system transforms into PDF or web help or whatever, with transforms specified by CSS and various options in the "target" definitions.

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l