Re: FW: Getting users to RTFM

Subject: Re: FW: Getting users to RTFM
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: David Tinsley <dtinsley -at- ndigital -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:09:46 -0700

My take has always been to better understand how our users prefer to work,
and provide the information where they need it. Very few people (I know a
couple) will read through an entire manual before working with a product. I
have a friend who read the entire suite or ProTools manuals when he bought
his first system. But that's rare.

For developers, embedded help in the form of auto-complete or run time
reference with link to read more in the IDE is a godsend.

For manufacturing, laminated pages in a flip top manual work best. Even if
touch screens are available, the gloves used in heavy machinery makes them
impossible to work with.

I'm curious if anyone has explored the use of Google Glass or Oculus Rift
to display run time reference for manufacturing? That may be an uncharted
territory?

-Tony

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l