Subject: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for August 29, 2014
From: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:25:01 -0400

Tis the season for awardsâ well, one of those seasons anyway. MTV Video
Awards and the Primetime Emmies impinge on the consciousness during August
with high production value events, that probably cost more to produce than
the combined annual salaries of every member of our email discussion list
<http://techwr-l.com/> and community forums
<http://community.techwhirl.com/>. Awards and recognition for work done in
the tech comm, customer experience and content strategy space are a bit
more cost-efficient to produce and promote, but no less important to the
professionals who work here than to the actors, musicians, directors and so
on who line up those anthropomorphic trophies on their mantels.

The Customer Experience Recognition Awards
<http://awards.techwhirl.com/submit/> are kind of the new kid on the block
when it comes to awards. We know that content professionals labor to
produce effective, compelling work with small budgets and big pressure to
add value to the bottom line. Itâs work that deserves recognition,
especially when it impacts customers in a positive and long-lasting way.
You and your team have three full weeks to put your entry together before
the September 19th deadline. And you still have time to make plans to
attend the awards dinner on October 23 in San Jose. Itâs being held in
conjunction with Information Development World
<https://www.eiseverywhere.com/ehome/86671> (hosted by The Content Wrangler
and Content Rules). Learning and recognition in one cool package.

In the meantime, if youâre looking for inspiration and resources for next
year, you could take a stroll around TechWhirl this week for some
thought-provoking discussions on content issues that matter to our
community.

Have a great weekend!

-Connie and the gang at TechWhirl
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>*
*:*

- Tech Writer This Week for August 28, 2014 | <http://sfy.co/sdQy>
http://ow.ly/AOGdR
- Book Review: The Language of Content Strategy, by Jacquie Samuels |
<http://bit.ly/1thvali> http://bit.ly/1pxRq9z
- Submit a CERA Nomination to Recognize Content Creators, by Stacey
Plowright | http://bit.ly/1swVuFs
- Usersâ Advocate: The User and the Right to Know, by Mark Baker |
http://bit.ly/1lvLLkB
- Content Strategy Versus DITA Content Strategy (poll)|
http://bit.ly/1ss9pPw

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page â whatâs happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

Sponsored Posts

- Adobe Systems: Beyond WebHelp: Editing HTML5 layouts in RoboHelp 11
<http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2014/08/sess-1-beyond-the-wizard-editing-html5-layouts-in-robohelp-11.html>
- EasyDITA: Using DITA XML to streamline and improve your localization
processes
<http://easydita.com/using-dita-xml-to-streamline-and-improve-your-localization-processes/>
- MadCap: Quickly Add a Print TOC, Index, and Glossary with MadCap Flare
<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/blog/2014/08/12/quickly-add-a-print-toc-index-and-glossary-with-madcap-flare/>
- Scriptorium: Engage before change: your content strategy mantra
<http://www.scriptorium.com/2014/08/engage-before-change-your-content-strategy-mantra/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=engage-before-change-your-content-strategy-mantra>

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special âthank youâ to our sponsors for their
support. Thanks to all of you!

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems Incorporated
<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>, Madcap Software
<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>

*Silver*: easyDITA <http://easydita.com/>, HelpIQ <http://www.helpiq.com/>

*Helping the world explore the art of content and communications*
Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: *plus.google.com/+techwhirl