Reminder on the Rules: Correcting other contributors' grammar/spelling

Subject: Reminder on the Rules: Correcting other contributors' grammar/spelling
From: INKtopia Admin <admin -at- inktopia -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 09:38:22 -0400

Folks,

Many of us get that fingernails on a blackboard feeling when we see grammar
or spelling errors. However, correction of fellow contributors' perceived
or actual errors is not acceptable as part of the TechWhirl list. Our Rules
& Expectations page <http://www.techwr-l.com/rules-expectations.html> clearly
notes that:

*You should NOT:*

- Directly attack anyone for anything on the list. Take issue with
ideas, not personalities. This is the easiest way to be evicted from our
community.
- Point out other members' grammatical, spelling, or usage errors.
This forum is not the place to exercise editorial frustration.
- Express political, religious or cultural opinions. Other forums are
designed for these kinds of debates, they are not appropriate for
professional community.
- Post ads in any form (see above).
- Say anything that you wouldn't want others to find with a search
engine, because your emails are archived and indexed. Remember,
both emails
and forum posts are searchable by major search engines.
- Register using your work address, because people change jobs and
it's sometimes impossible to gain access to that email if
there's an issue.

It should go without saying that you should not take on the role of grammar
and spelling police even in private communications with other list members.
You may feel that you doing another member a favor, but it's just as likely
to offend them. We all make typos, pointing them out is unnecessary and
rude.

If you are every unsure about whether something is appopriate, please refer
to this page, or contact us directly. Better yet, trust your instincts, if
you're unsure, it probably isn't appropriate.

Thanks for respecting each others' contributions,

Connie Giordano
List Moderator

*Helping the world explore the art of content and communications*
Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: *plus.google.com/+techwhirl