RE: Data visualization rules, 1915

Subject: RE: Data visualization rules, 1915
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>
To: TechWrl list <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- laserpubs -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 17:10:44 -0700

I appreciate the reference.

I do have the sense that the author of that piece is making more out of it than there is, but maybe not.

Illustrations would certainly have helped their list of rules!

The most interesting one to me is the first one: "Avoid using areas or volumes when representing quantities. Presentations read from only one dimension are the least likely to be misinterpreted."

And Dr. Hill's comment is interesting because on the one hand I find I want to refute him about things, but on the other, he might have a point: "I should agree to this. It seems necessary, however, to use areas or volumes when there is a wide disparity between the quantities which are compared, one quantity being very many times greater than another, so that in a comparison by lines or bars, either one bar would have to be very long, extending beyond the limits of any ordinary page, or the other would be so small as to be hardly perceptible."

I'm reminded of the pie chart showing how much disk space is used/free on your Windows computer. I find that visual very helpful. On Win7 (maybe others too, I forget) they also show it as a horizontal rectangular bar. I like the pie chart better!

The rest of the rules seem to me to be similar to what you would see in any illustration in a math textbook.

But I think the rules they were trying to spell out were for a very specific type of graphic, namely a census chart.

But those are only thoughts on first reading. I think this is a provocative piece. At the least it can make you think about what's fundamental in even the most basic chart or illustration. And I'm thinking by "curve chart" they meant what you would get if you took the points on a discrete chart and connected them to form a smooth curve -- like if you take the "New York" chart in that first figure (center left) and draw a continuous curve connecting the ends of the horizontal bars.

Thanks for posting.

Steve

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 11:57:34 -0500
To: RECMGMT-L -at- LISTS -dot- UFL -dot- EDU

Sapping Attention: Data visualization rules, 1915
In 1915, a year after the 1910 census's atlas was published, the Census
bureau circulated a memo to their advisors with a set of proposed rules for
graphical presentation. They are a sort of style guide for the Census in
particular, but they are obviously transferable to the general case.

http://bit.ly/1kBClU6

Source:
http://sappingattention.blogspot.com/2014/08/data-visualization-rules-1915.html
See if people are clicking on this link: http://bit.ly/1kBClU6+
Try the bitly.com sidebar to see who is talking about a page on the web:
https://bitly.com/pages/sidebar

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l