Re: LinkedIn invitations - accept "unpersonalized" ones ?

Subject: Re: LinkedIn invitations - accept "unpersonalized" ones ?
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- laserpubs -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 22:04:11 -0700

I try and remember to personalize my invitations, but don't always.
I mostly invite folks I already know.
I'll admit - I'm a bit honored by some of the folks who have invited me - those I recognize from the industry or STC - and I gladly accept those.
Others - it just depends.

What are connections good for?
*** You can see the direct connections of every one of your direct connections.
That means with more connections you have a hugely bigger chance of finding someone in a company you're interested in, for example.
I belong to a couple of HR groups - because I want recruiters to be able to find me easily.
A long-term/perm job would (might?) be great, but hasn't happened for a long time. The last perm position I had was at Ameriquest. It started with a short-term contract that dragged out so long they hired me.
Of course, a "perm position" is a bit like a "lifetime membership" in a discount store...

Once in a while I actually use LinkedIn to re-connect with old work buddies, or touch base with someone.
ymmv

Jay

On 7/21/2014 7:19 AM, Monique Semp wrote:

Hello, TechWR-L-ers,

As I periodically do, Iâm tending to the backlog of LinkedIn invitations that Iâve received, and Iâm struck again by how the vast, vast majority (say, 99% ?), are not personalized in the least little way.

And although the theory of LinkedIn is that every connection should be welcomed, Iâm finding it difficult to believe that anything usefulâand I just mean in the way of writing-related conversation, NOT a lead to a future job or anythingâwill come of connecting with someone who doesnât even take the time to say where I might know the person from or why I might want to connect.

I can assume that many of these invitations come from participants in the many groups and listservs in which I participate, but thatâs just itâI participate in so many that itâs hard to keep up and recognize everyone. But of all people, Iâd expect my fellow writers to want to add a sentence or two to the default message that results from clicking âPeople You May Know.â

So two questions:

1. When youâre on the receiving end of invitations, do you treat them any differently based on whether theyâve been personalized? Why or why not?

2. When you send invitations, why or why not do you choose to personalize the message?

Just wondering,
-Monique

--
Jay Maechtlen