RE: Using jira for documentation development workflows

Subject: RE: Using jira for documentation development workflows
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "shawn -at- cohodata -dot- com" <shawn -at- cohodata -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 14:40:52 -0400

Well, I hope others can offer useful answers, cuz my answer is âHeck, no!â Weâre not there, yet.

We are feeling our way, here, currently borrowing the workflow used by Dev and Test, in hopes of figuring out a stream that works better for docs.
It might be that the one weâve got would be fine with a tweak or two to the permissions, regarding who is allowed to review and who can promote an issue along its path (or paths).

We are still neatening our Flare projects, prior to putting them into Git for the first time ever. Perhaps after that, the combination of Git and Jira will suggest further adjustments. Donât know yet.

As for Jira flow, for docs (or the stages/flow in other systems, of which Jira is merely an example), I would like to hear

- how many stages people have in their formal doc workflows

- what they are called

- what alternate branch paths are allowed

- who can operate at each stage (for example, do you have a formal stage of peer review, or do you write/correct a portion of a doc and then send directly to Testing/verification who would either resolve/close or reject back )

- as an individual in the workflow, do you have the right to promote or redirect issues/tasks, or does everybody do their part and then send the issue back to a supervisor who decides where it goes next?

Iâm asking these questions of the list in general, not just Shawn.