Motivation

Subject: Motivation
From: Catherine Forrest <catherine -dot- forrest -at- ymail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 15:43:15 -0700

How do you write about terribly dull topics? One of the books I update is a scripting language user's guide. The book consists largely of conceptual information about the language and examples for beginning to advanced users. (The scope of the book is much too broad, but that's a different topic.)  The book is not in good shape because of lack of resources -- too few writers in the department and not enough scripting knowledge.

For some reason, motivating myself to write this book has been exceedingly difficult. Learning the language well enough to write about it (while doing the rest of my job) seems impossible.

Some things I've tried: scheduling pockets of time to work on the book, reading third-party books on the topic, taking a class. I haven't made much progress, which is disheartening.The situation seems fairly bleak.

There are no other writers to work on the book. Do you have any suggestions for motivating myself? This is a big, important book that cannot be ignored. I enjoy the rest of my job and don't want to find a new one.

Regards,
Catherine

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l