RE: What is not mandated is forbidden

Subject: RE: What is not mandated is forbidden
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>, TECHWR-L Digest <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 15:12:27 -0400

In systems where more than one person might have a hand, either serially or concurrently, it's very possible that a given user wouldn't get to see what the default is (if they aren't explicitly told). S/he'd get to see what somebody else had set. They might like to know the likely effects of modifying the current settings in one direction or another, either to decide whether to update what they inherited (config-wise) or to argue/discuss with other admins about their current setting choices.

And, absolutely, you are describing real situations.

I made a table for my readers, showing how logging level and log-file roll-over settings interact to affect disk-space and other aspects of performance.
But........ that was before we started getting serious about agile development and tracking methodology, now that I think of it.