More about the changes coming to tech writing

Subject: More about the changes coming to tech writing
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: "sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 18:41:11 -0700

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014, Sharon Burton
<sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com');>>
wrote:

> That said, the average age at conferences is getting older, as the people
> who are younger in our field seem to not be attending as often. That's an
> interesting problem that organizations are looking at - how to engage the
> younger/new people to value conferences.

Well, we could all be suffering from conference burnout. This past month
alone saw numerous content, tech writing, usability, digital strategy, and
even persuasive technology conferences. I'd hate to see what the whole year
holds.

Also, the quality of the conference material is difficult to predict. And
if the ticket and travel costs aren't covered by an employer or tax write
off then it doesn't work out I be adequate value for the money.

Conferences tend to benefit presenters, or networkers. Employers don't want
to pay to send their staff to conferences where they may be headhunted out
of the company.

A vendor once told me he doesn't go to a specific TechCom conference
because there are far too many sales reps and no decision makers.
Meanwhile, the kind of conferences I like are of the more practical tools /
tips / secrets kind, and decision makers prefer the high level overview.

-Tony
Doc-To-Help 2014 v1 now available. SharePoint 2013 support, NetHelp enhancements, and more. Read all about it.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/NNcWqS