Re: an electronic portfolio question

Subject: Re: an electronic portfolio question
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Sarah Lee Hauslinger <slhauslinger -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 07:26:20 -0700

J River's popular Media Center <http://www.jriver.com/> is a candidate.
Although I am a regular user of their software as my prime media player,
they assume folks are just going to dive right in and figure out all its
amazing features by themselves. I could really use a cookbook for it.

Another candidate is Audacity<http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/reviews>
.

Then there is the Raspberry Pi computer, which now has an audio card for
it. I want to use one as a go-between device to record vinyl LPs from my
turntable and store the recordings in FLAC format on my NAS. A "how-to"
might even be something that a person could sell online for a few bucks per
copy. Given the increased interest in new vinyl releases, there may be a
significant market here for a well-written tutorial.

> Chris

> Chris

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Sarah Lee Hauslinger <
slhauslinger -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Becca, here's another idea: you might also find docs in need of re-do
> that belong to the many open-source freeware utilities out there. Most
> have help that's minimal, so re-doing the docs for that type of
> product would be even more directly relevant, and would also give you
> a chance to show off your Help generation and design skills. Given
> that you only have class assignments, I think you might want to
> consider re-doing both a DVD/VCR manual and a freeware software tool.
>
> Anyone know of a freeware tool with atrocious docs and help in need of
> improvement?
>

> Sarah Lee Hauslinger
> slhauslinger -at- gmail -dot- com
>
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Becca <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> >

> >>________________________________
> >
> >>Becca, as a hiring manager, I'd wonder why you were showing
> >>20-year-old work that wasn't directly relevant to technical
> >>communication when you'd just completed a techcomm degree. I don't
> >>recommend that you use the tearsheets as portfolio samples.
> >
> > good point.
> >
> > A lot of my samples are old because it's been maybe 8 years since I last
> worked in the field.
> >

> >>Here are some ideas for you: in any of your class assignments, did you
> >>produce clearly written and well-laid-out documents? If so, I'd say
> >>those are prime material for your portfolio. To demonstrate those
> >>skills further, you could find some utterly badly written and laid-out
> >>docs (a VCR or DVD player manual might be just the thing) and re-do
> >>them with clear writing and good layout, then show the "before and
> >>after". If you were a candidate for a spot on my team and showed me
> >>that sort of sample, I'd be impressed, and you'd stand out in my mind
> >>as not only a good writer, but also an innovative one
> >

> > I do have some class materials I'm showing. I need to play with some
> help files, too, and add some of that to my portfolio.
> >

> > Right now, other than the scanned material that's 10 or more years old,
> all I have is class material. Iike the idea of doing procedures for the
> VCR/DVD player. Thank you for the idea!
> >
> > -becca

> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
> Doc-To-Help. Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need.
>
> Try Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
>
> http://bit.ly/doc-to-help

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Doc-To-Help 2014 v1 now available. SharePoint 2013 support, NetHelp enhancements, and more. Read all about it.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/NNcWqS