FrameMaker 11 archive tool glitch

Subject: FrameMaker 11 archive tool glitch
From: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 13:51:33 -0800 (PST)

Question regarding the FrameMaker 11 tool now available at

http://lists.frameusers.com/pipermail/framers/2012-August/026415.html

After downloading and proceeding through the steps stated on this web page, I found that it works just fine except for one big problem.

It doesn't recognize embedded graphics within the FM file.

Unfortunately and because of a decision beyond my control that I vented about on this list some many months ago, we had embedded all of our graphics, resulting in absolutely horrendous large file sizes. (Example: the maintenance chapter for one of our crawler cranes was over 1 gigabyte in size and took forever to open, navigate through and save. I eventually restructured it with referenced graphics and the FM file is now only a couple hundred kilobytes.)

While we have since started moving back to referencing our imported files, there are still a large number existing manuals we need to archive, and some of them have a mixture of embedded and referenced graphics.

So today in running a test, we found that the resulting archive file included the FM files and the referenced graphic files, but when the archive file was opened, the _embedded_ graphics displayed as grey boxes -- which is ass-backwards from what you normally see if FM can't find a referenced graphic.

I myself still use Bruce Foster's Archive plug-in tool for my FM8 installation and it does NOT behave this way.

Any advice from any of you on this? And no, the one here who calls the shots refuses to allow the time to go back and re-do those files by replacing embedded with referenced graphics.

Boo-hoo.

-- Ken in Atlanta
Doc-To-Help: new website, content widgets, and an output that works on any screen.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/1eRs4NS