RE: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for February 14, 2014

Subject: RE: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for February 14, 2014
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>, Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 15:40:18 -0500

Y'all are welcome. :-)

Does this mean I can run a tab, now?

-----Original Message-----
From: TechWhirl Admin
Sent: February-14-14 12:11 PM
To: Techwr-l

Odd how professional communities can share a lot of the same attributes as human beings. Our email discussion list had been unusually quiet for several weeks, until a list regular asked why things appeared to be a ghost town. Then, just like someone waking up from a long winter's nap, things started popping, perhaps having gotten the virtual equivalent of a hot shower and a morning caffeine jolt.

It proved to be a good opportunity for us to catch our community up on what's been happening around TechWhirl, and get jolted ourselves for some oversights that were completely unintentional (working on correcting as we speak, so thanks for saying what we needed to hear). We are working hard to find ways to join up email discussions with community forums and commenting, but it looks to be somewhat of a manual process for the foreseeable future.

In the meantime if you're a regular list dweller, take a few minutes to see the kind of content we have on the site, and add your thoughts and comments by registering for the forum<http://community.techwhirl.com/entry/register?Target=categories>.
If you spend your time in the forum and on TechWhirl.com, it's worth checking out the archives <http://www.techwr-l.com/>, and subscribing to the email list <http://www.techwr-l.com/frequently-asked-questions.html#subscribe> to see who's talking about what. And if you happen to be a development genius with an app that can integrate "old-school" email lists with web-based forums and commenting, you would definitely be our permanent Valentine.

This week's content provides a lot great information and fodder for discussions around agile and tech comm, DITA, and budget priorities. Take a look, vote, comment, and share as needed.
Looking for TechWhirlers to Beta Test

One of our long-time Whirlers, Keith Hood, is looking for some fellow TWs to help with some beta-testing: People familiar with MS Word to test a system of using code fields to create conditional text and single-sourcing in Word documents. Contact Keith Hood, bus -dot- write -at- gmail -dot- com if you're interested and want details.

Have a great weekend, and Happy Valentine's Day

-Connie and the gang at TechWhirl
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>*
*:*

- Tech Writer This Week February 13, 2014 | http://bit.ly/1gufHHH
- Agile and Tech Comm: The Whole Team Approach (part 2), by Alyssa Fox |
http://bit.ly/1iPjXlM
- 8 Content Pain Points that Implementing DITA Solves, by Jacquie
Samuels | http://bit.ly/1bGNqJv
- Tech Comm/Content Management 2014 Budget Priorities (poll)|
http://bit.ly/1lpGGGi

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page - what's happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

Sponsored Posts

- Adobe Systems: Introducing the new single layout based Responsive
HTML5 publishing<http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2014/02/rh-11-mobile-publishing.html>
- EasyDITA: easyDITA Releases New Version of Its DITA XML CMS and
Authoring Tool<http://easydita.com/easydita-releases-new-version-of-its-dita-xml-cms-and-authoring-tool/>
- MadCap Software: MadCap Software's Free Winter Webinar Schedule<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/blog/2014/01/30/madcap-softwares-free-winter-webinar-schedule/>
- Scriptorium: Greatest hits for your listening content strategy pleasure<http://www.scriptorium.com/2014/02/greatest-hits-for-your-listening-content-strategy-pleasure/#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=greatest-hits-for-your-listening-content-strategy-pleasure>

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special "thank you" to our sponsors for their support.

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>, Madcap Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>

*Silver*: Vancouver Island University <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>, easyDITA<http://easydita.com/>

Helping the world explore the art of content and communication

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl

or disclosing it.

Doc-To-Help: new website, content widgets, and an output that works on any screen.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/1eRs4NS