Re: On the value of glossaries containing terms the audience should already know

Subject: Re: On the value of glossaries containing terms the audience should already know
From: "rebecca officer" <rebecca -dot- officer -at- alliedtelesis -dot- co -dot- nz>
To: "Robert Lauriston" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 12:15:53 +1300

I also think it's important to think about what your knowledgeable users might need from a glossary entry. They'll know you mean Internet Protocol, but they may want to know whether that includes IPv6 or is only IPv4.

We make network switches, and we single-source a glossary across the whole product range. The product range varies from beginner right up to expert-only gear. No expert's ever complained about the glossary including terms like DNS.

I also do some administration of our company's patent portfolio. Sometimes I have to think a moment to figure out what someone means by IP!

Cheers
Rebecca

>>> Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com> 21/12/13 12:46 >>>
Elissa said, "I don't think you have any business mucking around with
*anything* covered in this guide if you don't know what DNS and IP
mean," which might mean she's got a similar audience.

For example, if I were documenting a command-line interface for a
piece of hardware that lives in an equipment closet, such as a big
router or network switch, I would never waste time and space defining
DNS or IP. You don't have a key to the closet if you don't know a lot
more than that. If you're some clueless user dealing with an
emergency, you need to call tech support and have them guide you.

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:
> Robert Lauriston wrote:
>
>> When you're documenting a mission-critical product that's used only in
>> secure environments with hundreds or thousands of servers, you don't
>> have to worry about that.
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:
>> > I've been in more than a few start-ups where some newly hired clerical
>> > employee was handed a network manual and told that he or she was now the
>> > company's sysadmin.
>
> But that is going to be the case for how many list members? Pronouncements that only apply to one in a hundred members are not very helpful to the other 99. Most of us work in the real world where pointy-haired bosses are all too common.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as rebecca -dot- officer -at- alliedtelesis -dot- co -dot- nz -dot-

notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ