SUMMARY: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?

Subject: SUMMARY: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
From: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 17:39:44 -0800

A month or so ago I asked about recommendations for current books on teaching technical writing for an engineering colleague who wanted to be a better SME. I promised to collate the list, but have not had the time until now.

Books are in alphabetical order by author. Some of the recommendations were style guides or general writing books vs actual technical writing books, but I have included them for completeness. The links are lazily and haphazardly Amazon with some paper and some Kindle books.

Cheers,
Laura

--------------
Alred, Gerald J. et al: Handbook of Technical Writing
http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Technical-Writing-Tenth-Edition/dp/1250004411

Blake, Gary and Bly, Roberts W.: Elements of Technical Writing
http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Technical-Writing-Gary-Blake/dp/0020130856

Hargis, Gretchen, et al: Developing Quality Technical Information: A Handbook for Writers and Editors
http://www.amazon.com/Developing-Quality-Technical-Information-Handbook-ebook/dp/B0026OR0IS
(link is to 2nd edition, 3rd edition is coming up in 7/14)

Krug, Steve: Don't Make Me Think
http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Make-Think-Revisited-Usability-ebook/dp/B00HJUBRPG
(3rd edition released yesterday!)

LeFever, Lee: The Art of Explanation
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Explanation-Products-Services-Understand-ebook/dp/B00A58ANAE

Pringle, Alan S. and O'Keefe, Sarah: Technical Writing 101
http://store.scriptorium.com/items/books/technical-writing-101-book-third-edition-tw101bk-detail.htm

Rosenberg, Barry: Spring Into Technical Writing for Engineers and Scientists
http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Technical-Writing-Engineers-Scientists/dp/0131498630

Sammons, Martha: Longman Guide to Style and Writing on the Internet
http://www.amazon.com/Longman-Guide-Writing-Internet-Edition/dp/020557629X

Sides, Charles H.: How to Write and Present Technical Information
http://www.amazon.com/How-Write-Present-Technical-Information-ebook/dp/B000TYWAFK

Sun Microsystems: Read Me First! A Style Guide for the Computer Industry
http://www.amazon.com/First-Style-Computer-Industry-Edition/dp/0137058268
Matthew H. post about style guides including this one: http://matthewhelmke.net/2012/01/style-guides/

Van Laan, Krista: The Insider's Guide to Technical Writing
http://www.amazon.com/Insiders-Guide-Technical-Writing-ebook/dp/B00C7CC4JE
Matthew H. review: http://matthewhelmke.net/2012/08/the-insiders-guide-to-technical-writing/

Williams, Joseph M.: Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace" (11th Edition)
http://www.amazon.com/Style-Lessons-Clarity-Grace-Edition/dp/0321898680

Zinsser, William: On Writing Well
http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Well-30th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/0060891548

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ