RE: Standards for command-line documentation + dumb Acrobat X user question

Subject: RE: Standards for command-line documentation + dumb Acrobat X user question
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Kathleen MacDowell <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Elissa K. Miller" <emiller -at- doubleknot -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 16:32:13 -0500

Good points.

My take on how many or how thoroughly to provide examples is:

- if a command is in the product, somebody is going to use it
- if I want to use a command, I want it documented, including an illustrative example... in fact, I wouldn't mind seeing examples of failure scenarios, like what messages to expect if you forget to log in before issuing the command, or how the output might differ for different levels of user, where that's relevant
- if a command is trivial to document, then the example should be quick and easy to provide, no?

Except in situations where I just can't get the right equipment (or enough of it), I make my own examples.

In the case of a long example sequence of many commands and their output, I might trim the middle out of overly-large blobs of output and replace with a nice " [...snip...] ". In that case, I precede the example with a note like "Parts of this example are trimmed for space reasons '[...snip...]'."

In such long examples, I shamelessly use bolding and color to make the "what you type" bits stand out.
If I include a "show" command before an action command, and then another "show" command following it, to illustrate the change, either I'll leave the entire output as-is, or I'll snip but leave enough for the reader to orient herself.
If a changed portion is a few words or a string of numbers, I'll change its color (but otherwise leave it in the Courier New that my <pre> tag applies).
Several words, or a bunch of numbers in a different color should catch most visual scans.
If the changed portion is just a character or three, and could get lost on a page of text, even with the color difference, I might stick " <<====" to the right, to catch the scanning eye of the reader.

I avoid getting fancy. There's a non-zero chance that I'll have to re-import the example within the next release or three.

-k

PS: The "this has changed" color was a shade of red for years, but recently became a shade of orange that is one of our corporate colors. I've verified that color-blind males see it as sufficiently different from the surrounding black text. No females at this location admit to being color blind.