RE: Standards for command-line documentation + dumb Acrobat X user question

Subject: RE: Standards for command-line documentation + dumb Acrobat X user question
From: Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
To: "Elissa K. Miller" <emiller -at- doubleknot -dot- com>, techwrl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 18:17:51 +0000

Showing an example of output for each command seems like a big waste of space. It's a pretty old-school mindset that insists on showing e-v-e-r-y-thing, but you'll need some kind of evidence to convince your client that people generally don't like to wade through pages and pages of illustrations of stuff that they're going to see on-screen anyway. If you can find some on-line resources about principles of usability that support your case, you may be able to bring them around. If the client is still sending out hard copies to customers, you can make the case that reducing the page count will save them printing and shipping costs.

Font formatting in examples... could you just show the example, then add a table that lists commands in one column, and the value that they need to enter in another column?

Page numbering issue: Given that I only provide our docs as pdf, I've been thinking that I should rework the page numbering in my Framemaker source docs to avoid that numbering mismatch in the pdf (i.e. the title page would be Page 1). If there's a workaround in Acrobat, I'd like to hear about it too.