Re: Tools statistics

Subject: Re: Tools statistics
From: Shawn C <shawn -at- convergent -dot- io>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 13:12:06 -0700

Hello Rick,

I was where you are, four months ago. When I was hired for a start-up, I
was given full responsibility for the documentation department. One of my
decisions involved which documentation tool to standardize on. I can tell
you, InDesign was never one of the choices. It is a great tool and it is
part of my personal Adobe Cloud package but I wouldn't use it for anything
more than marketing literature.

Considering my ten year background with FrameMaker, I was going to choose
the tool I was familiar with but this company required single source
documentation to PDF and Web... FrameMaker isn't quite up to that task! My
final decision was MadCap Flare. It was a risk, accompanied by a bit of a
learning curve but I do not regret my decision. I love how Flare's source
is all plain text web based HTML, XML, XHTML, and css. With little effort,
you can output documents to many different formats and it is just brilliant
for single sourcing.

Check out their marketing videos... if anything you'll get a laugh out of
them.
madcapsoftware.com <http://www.madcapsoftware.com/>

It's a little old but I love this list (btw, some of the 'hates' have since
been made better)
http://idratherbewriting.com/2008/01/31/45-things-i-love-about-flare-31-things-i-hate-about-it/

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 5:24 AM, Rick Quatro <rick -at- rickquatro -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to the list and work with both FrameMaker and InDesign. I am
> working with a client that is looking at using InDesign for their technical
> documentation. They want to know if other tech writers are using InDesign,
> as opposed to FrameMaker or Word, etc. Does anyone know of any data or
> surveys that might show where InDesign stands in the technical publications
> world? Thank you very much.
>
> Rick
>
> Rick Quatro
> Carmen Publishing Inc.