Re: seen this? A Survey of U.S. Certificate Programs in Technical Communication

Subject: Re: seen this? A Survey of U.S. Certificate Programs in Technical Communication
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:19:44 -0400

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:56:46 -0400, Milan DavidoviÄ <milan -dot- lists -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

This might be of interest to someone here:

"A Survey of U.S. Certificate Programs in Technical Communication",
Programmatic Persepctives, Volume 5 Issue 1 (Spring 2013); from the
Council for Programs in Technical and Scientific Communication

http://cptsc.org/pp/vol5-1/nugent.pdf

Perhaps my hasty reading is faulty, but I don't think I saw anything in that survey that touched on whether or not the students in the various writing programs actually learned anything that would make them good technical writers. There was also nothing about whether such training would make anyone more likely to hire a person.

The entire focus seemed to be directed inwards on academia and academic credentials.

My jaundice is showing again, but the ONLY graduate of such a program whom I have ever met and worked with Could Not Write. The best tech writing instruction I've seen was on-the-job and sink-or-swim, where people of obvious common sense were thrust into writing positions regardless of academic degree. Some of the best had PhDs but no tech writing experience at all.

The best academic training I've seen for writing, in general, was the Newswriting 101 class given by Dick Pothier (now deceased) in the Journalism Department of Northeastern University around 1975.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ