RE: The future of manuals

Subject: RE: The future of manuals
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 10:28:18 -0400

A couple of years ago, I recall seeing ads for a line of cars, where the proud new owner reached into the glove box for the Owner's Manual - which was an iPad.
It wasn't a low-end line of autos... But it wasn't so high-end that it was too posh to advertise on the tube.
I wonder if an iPad would last as well as a paper manual, cooking under the sun in a mini-oven/glove-box?
I was waiting to see lower-status cars coming along with Android pads for the manuals, but nothing so far....

You'd think RIM/BlackBerry would have tried partnering with some car companies to dump all those orphan BB tablets as glorified Owner Manuals... um... owner manuals that take two minutes to boot when you need 'em, and run down the battery even when off.

Now that I think of it, the glove-box iPad would have needed a charging hookup in there, otherwise it would be dead when you needed it. I wonder if that was one of the first notices that appeared when it booted...