Re: Taking active vs. passive voice too far

Subject: Re: Taking active vs. passive voice too far
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 07:09:55 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I think you're taking the weak example I gave a bit too literally.  The point is, to make an active statement you have to know the actor and the object of the action.  Passive statements obscure that information.  Providing that information empowers the reader (IMO), which is kind of what our business is all about -- empowering the reader.  But... it's more work.