RE: What shall I do when faced with this situation

Subject: RE: What shall I do when faced with this situation
From: Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com>
To: Simon <wingman1985 -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot- cn>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 05:31:09 +0000

Assuming the doc will still be under the engineers' responsibility and you only have to help, my first step would be to create an outline - what the users need to know rather than what the engineers have been including so far- and get them to review it. Once you have the outline, put the headings in a formatted file, with some guidance about what type of info to include in each section and examples. Give the files to the engineers to fill it in, then review. Deal with content gaps, clarity and language issues, graphics and formatting improvements and alike. You may divide the manuals into portions by content ownership and hand each SME his/her portion, then assemble. Suggest and implement a file revisioning/saving/numbering/backup process.

If you have to write the doc (what they call "help"), then after the outline phase, put a source next to each heading (something like "take drawing from server X" or "interview engineer Y") then have them review and help with the gaps.

HTH,
Erika

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ