Re: A softer word for "honesty" or "integrity" ?

Subject: Re: A softer word for "honesty" or "integrity" ?
From: Kathleen MacDowell <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:48:28 -0500

Rather than go into the details of the change, perhaps you could just state
that "a license is required for each product", with whatever clarification
is required to indicate it applies to the enterprise (if I understand you
correctly).

I suspect few people would be surprised at such a change. Definitely not
the most draconian approach being taken these days, and very common
practice.

Kathleen

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 11:13 PM, McLauchlan, Kevin <
Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

> Imagine that in the past, certain abilities of some of a company's
> products were available in multiples from 2 to 20... but in reality, all 20
> were usable, and upgrade licenses were merely "paper" permissions to use
> more than the customer had previously paid for. That is, that nameless
> company relied on the honor system. This didn't need explaining in the docs.
>
> After a certain product version, however, upgrades have recently become
> "physically" effective, and are now tied to product serial numbers
> (validated by internal certificates) in an effective manner. No longer
> could a customer cheat... not that anyone ever did. If they ever called
> the company's Tech Support, the tech could see how many they'd paid for,
> and how many they were actually using... :-)
>
> But now that the company is using the new upgrade model, the documentalist
> needs to explain that the old "honor" system is out - except for existing
> systems already owned by customers. So, for those already-in-the-field
> systems, even after they update software and firmware, they still have
> "physical" access to the full complement (whether paid for or not), and the
> vendor company still relies on the /h/o/n/o/r/ or /i/n/t/e/g/r/i/t/y/ or
> ______ of the customer to use only the licenses they have actually
> purchased. This could become important if, as an example, the customer is
> running HA groups of the product. Previously, all the members of an HA
> group would "just work". Now, if they don't all have the same number of
> licensed subunits, then the entire group would be limited to the number
> available to the unit with the fewest licenses... just as one example where
> there could be real consequences, and why the difference between
> honor-system licenses and actual, effective ser
> ial-number-linked licenses needs some .... pre-emptive comment.
>
> What nice, inoffensive word would go in that blank space, to convey the
> idea without offering insult (especially to anyone who might have... er...
> um... previously succumbed to temptation)? Should the writer just say
> "compliance", perhaps? Thesaurus goes in many directions, not all
> helpful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -k
>

> The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
> may be privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected
> from disclosure. If you have received this communication in
> error, please notify us immediately by replying to this
> message and deleting it from your computer without copying
> or disclosing it.

> New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for
> authoring.
>
> Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Kathleen MacDowell