RE: Dealing with controls common to multiple tabs

Subject: RE: Dealing with controls common to multiple tabs
From: Paul Hanson <twer_lists_all -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:00:01 -0500

You can use probably create a snippet of the text that describes that
control and then include a reference to that snippet on each page, depending
upon your tool and what output you are creating.

For example, my co-worker built a help system in Confluence - though I'm
pretty sure other HATs have this ability - where "How to Log In" is a
snippet of text. On each page where it was relevant, there is a reference to
that snippet. There are two excellent benefits to this strategy:
1) because the relevant information is on every page, the user does not have
to go somewhere else to read the relevant information.
2) if there is a change to the referenced snippet - like a field is renamed
from "User Name" to "User ID" - that change is made once in the snippet and
all relevant places are updated.

Hope that helps.

Paul Hanson
Senior Technical Writer