Subject: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for June 7, 2013
From: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 09:42:34 -0400

Sometimes we forget that not everyone in our circles—whether work, friends
or family—has the knowledge and expertise on a given subject. While you
energetically discuss compression settings and dpi for your latest tome,
the newbie of the group has that deer in the headlights look that means
you've gone right over her head. Or you're the newbie, trying desperately
to get a grasp of the downstream impacts of data quality threshold testing,
and what that means to your workload. During really tough weeks you're both
newbie and SME.

Seems like a good time for TechWhirl recap, considering the great features
and commentary we were able to bring to you. TechWhirl provided a lot for
both newbie and SME. Geoff Hart started the week with an informative
introduction to
infographics<http://techwhirl.com/effective-infographics-telling-stories-in-the-technical-communication-context/>.
Tech comm SMEs could vote in and comment on our poll about your CMS
must-have features<http://techwhirl.com/technical-communication-poll-must-have-cms-features/>.
And Yehoshua Paul dove into print outputs, what’s available and best
practices<http://techwhirl.com/publishing-technical-content-part-1-overview-print-outputs/>this
tech comm content delivery medium that so many of us still rely on to
some extent. Craig Cardimon curated another fascinating set of posts from
thought leaders in tech comm, content strategy, user experience and
customer experience in Tech Writer This
Week<http://techwhirl.com/tech-writer-this-week-for-june-6-2013/>
.

After a bumpy start to the week, the email discussion
list<http://techwr-l.com/>also contributed to the education factor
with great discussions on
comparing various help authoring tools, structured to unstructured
FrameMaker, and 1099 to W-2 contracting (U.S. income tax reporting options,
for those outside the U.S.).

So if it’s education that you want, or merely a quick reminder of some key
facts, we've got what you're looking for.

Have a great weekend!

-Connie and the gang at TechWhirl
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>**
:*

- Tech Writer This Week for June 6, 2013, by Craig Cardimon |
http://bit.ly/19K70pw
- Publishing Technical Content Part 1: Overview of Print Outputs, by
Yehoshua Paul | http://bit.ly/10P253y
- Technical Communication Poll: Must-Have CMS Features |
http://bit.ly/11o2byK
- Effective Infographics: Telling Stories in the Technical Communication
Context, by Geoff Hart | http://bit.ly/ZF7xHx

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their
support.

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>,* *Madcap
Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>
**

*Silver*: Vancouver Island University <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl