Subject: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for May 31, 2013
From: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 05:59:14 -0400

Closing out a month of TechWhirl on the actual last day of the month
doesn't actually happen very often. So I’m looking back on 31 days of sheer
madness, happy in what I accomplished, and happy that the month is done
(and wishing for a few days off to mentally recuperate). We debuted a new
member of the SWU, attended the STC Summit, launched our Content Structure
Research Portal, added to a lively debate by those more learned than us
(That would be Tom Johnson, Sarah O’Keefe, and Mark Baker), and welcomed
two summer interns to the slightly off-kilter ranks of TechWhirl. Add to
that a slew of freelance projects, and it’s no wonder my brain is full.
Does anybody else wonder what happened to the last month? It disappeared
before I had a chance to really enjoy it.

And in spite of the long holiday weekend, we didn’t really slow down on the
new content. Jacquie Samuels told the epic tale of the Three Musketeers of
Content<http://techwhirl.com/three-musketeers-of-technical-content-structure-writing-publishing/>,
and Roger Renteria treated us to another Summit Summary—Dr. Laura Palmer’s
session on social
media<http://techwhirl.com/summit-summary-laura-palmer-on-staking-your-claim-in-the-social-media-frontier/>.
Craig Cardimon curated another round of great stuff on tech comm, content
and UX (apparently those folks don’t take vacation either) in Tech Writer
This Week. <http://techwhirl.com/tech-writer-this-week-for-may-30-2013/>

And if that’s not enough, hop on over to the email discussion
list<http://techwr-l.com/>,
where you can lend your expertise on selecting a CMS, figuring out if it’s
a CMS that you really need, setting a freelance rate, and the ever-popular
word usage questions. You still have time to complete the Adobe WYSWYG
survey <http://adobetechcommsurvey.campaignsandevents.com/> for a chance at
fabulous prizes, or to vote in our structured content “or”, “and”, and
“for” the web tech comm
poll<http://techwhirl.com/tech-comm-poll-structured-authoring-and-web-content-delivery-coexist/>,
and tell us why you voted the way you did.

See you can be just as crazy busy as I am... all in one place.

Have a great weekend!

-Connie and the gang at TechWhirl
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>**
:*

- Tech Writer This Week for May 30, 2013, by Craig Cardimon |
http://bit.ly/10Bqd9I
- Summit Summary: Laura Palmer on Staking Your Claim in the Social Media
Frontier, by Roger Renteria | http://bit.ly/16nW41T
- The Three Musketeers of Technical Content, by Jacquie Samuels |
http://bit.ly/10YRezp
- Tech Comm Poll: Can Structured Authoring and Web Content Delivery
Co-exist? | http://bit.ly/11a4gK0

*Technical Communication news on
http://TechWhirl.com/news<http://techwhirl.com/news>
:*

- AIIM Study Shows 82 Percent of Companies Still Lack Enterprise Content
Management | http://bit.ly/15ivfbD
- Doc-To-Help 2013 Features Industry’s First HTML5 Editor for Content
Authors | http://ow.ly/2xg2M2
- Connexions Journal Issues Call for Papers for Second Issue |
http://ow.ly/2xaYwz

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their
support.

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>,* *Madcap
Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>
**

*Silver*: Vancouver Island University <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl