Re: Word (2007) - heading number *after* heading text ?

Subject: Re: Word (2007) - heading number *after* heading text ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Kath Bowman" <Kath -dot- Bowman -at- au -dot- saabgroup -dot- com>, "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 10:37:52 -0700

Like you, I've never seen heading numbering follow the heading text. However you could simulate this by using a sequence field at the end of (unnumbered) heading text. Then I'd add macros for each heading level to apply the appropriate style and add the sequence field at the end.

Yes, it came to me last night that the solution would take a combo of sequence fields, header/footer text box and graphic elements, and ToC manipulation. And today's investigation involved style refs, and TC fields (which themselves can contain field values).

If you're interested in the gory details of Word, here's what worked:

* Set the Heading 1 style to be non-numbered.

* Add a sequence field to the headings' text for the chapter number, and set the field to Hidden font so that it does not display.

* In the footer, add a text box to hold a sequence field for the chapter number, and use the \c switch so it doesn't increment. Also, this text box needed to be in the footer, not header, so it would pick up the desired chapter number (instead of the previous one, from the previous page). Although this is in the footer, it actually is positioned near the top of the page, alongside-and-right of the heading text. And I locked the text box in place so that it wouldn't keep popping up to the header.

* Create two versions of the Heading 1 style ("Heading 1 1-line" and "Heading 1 2-lines") to manage the fact that some chapter headings take up two lines, but I want all of them to end in the same vertical position (so that they align properly with the text box that's holding the chapter number).

* Also on the footer, add the graphic line element that I want to appear under the heading text. (I couldn't just include a lower border in the paragraph style because the heading 1 styles have a right indent so that they don't obscure the chapter number text box, and I want this line element to appear under both the heading text and the chapter number text box.)

* At the end of the heading text para (but still in it), add a TC field so that the heading appears in the Table of Contents. I couldn't just include the heading 1 styles because then the chapter number wouldn't appear (because the headings aren't numbered). This TC field is complicated because it needs to include the chapter sequence number so that the number appears in the ToC. And unfortunately, I have to retype the heading text because a Styleref field would be self-referential. So here's what the TC field looks like:

{ TC "{ SEQ Chapter \c \* MERGEFORMAT } <tab char> <heading text>" \f C \l "1" }

* In the Table of Contents field, add the "\f" field to include the TC entries, and remove the heading 1s from the included styles.

Whew -- I think that's it, but of course YMMV. Now all I have to do is duplicate for the appendixes :-).

-Monique
From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help sample with DISQUS for user commenting?

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n