Re: Advice needed for an upcoming interview

Subject: Re: Advice needed for an upcoming interview
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:46:34 -0400

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:02:21 -0400, Anonymous <anonymous -at- techwhirl -dot- com> wrote:

I have a job interview on Thursday ... heavy use of both regular expressions and APIs.

You can only get regexp knowledge by actually using them.

If you're good at solving crossword puzzles, especially if you can do them quickly, then you can understand my analogy if I say there's quite a bit of acquired crazy skill for either of those tasks, but that you'll not be able to bluff your way through regexp at all, any more than you could bluff through being able to "do the NYT Sunday puzzle in half an hour." Really, though, I do think of regexp and crosswords as exercising the same corners of my mind. Perhaps that analogy can help you explain yourself if you're good at puzzles.

You are fortunate, though. I've never had a TW interview where my understanding of regexp was on the table at all.

There appears to be a tutorial at http://www.regular-expressions.info/
From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help sample with DISQUS for user commenting?

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n