RE: KVM switch vs. separate keyboard/mouse

Subject: RE: KVM switch vs. separate keyboard/mouse
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Gregory P Sweet <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>, TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "techwr-l-bounces+gps03=health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l-bounces+gps03=health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:04:20 -0400

I didn't actually mention VM in the portion of my post that you quote.
I do have a couple of real machines (non-VM) that I access - the Windows box via Windows RDP, and the Linux box via !m (that's NoMachine).

Of course I have VMs here and there, as well.

You have a good point about video. RDP and other such protocols conserve bandwidth by sending you just updates of changed screen elements (of the remote session), and uploading (to the remote session) only your keyboard and mouse inputs. The view of the distant system simply doesn't update fast enough and comprehensively enough to handle motion video... especially if you throw a VPN into the mix.