Re: KVM switch vs. separate keyboard/mouse

Subject: Re: KVM switch vs. separate keyboard/mouse
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:10:29 -0700

why not just get your best and most comfortable setup on ONE system that you use all the time, and connect to others using whatever flavor of Remote Desktop works best? The basic Windows RD works across all Windows versions you are likely to encounter. There are cross-platform versions for Linux and OSX if needed. Some are free and pretty reliable.

There's not a large bandwidth penalty. I access two or three systems from my home office, over the corporate VPN, all day almost every day.

I understand that this would be nice in theory, but the benefit to me of having multiple laptops running, with just one extended to my primary large monitor, is that I can see more active windows. That is, I don't have to keep moving and re-tiling the windows so I can switch between the desired active system and the others (which are doing various monitoring things such as email on different systems, and a few other automated things).

Plus, one of my laptops is itself already running a VM (an XP VM on a Win7 machine -- needed because a few tools are supported only on XP, not even in Win7's XP compatibility mode), so it just seems too confusing to have multiple remote sessions where one of them also has multiple sessions.

So the remote session is a good practice for many situations, but for now I'm really liking having multiple (laptop) machines with multiple monitors, and just the ease of using the same mouse/keyboard on any of them.
From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help sample with DISQUS for user commenting?

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n