a question about outcomes in a syllabus

Subject: a question about outcomes in a syllabus
From: Becca <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: tech2wr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 07:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

The coursework I am developing with my SME has a syllabus in which my SME (who is designing the course; I'm only writing and editing the text) consistently says, in his section outcome statements "The student will understand..."

This seems dangerous to me, in that a student who does *not* understand can say "you promised I would understand! I want my money back!" if the student fails the course.

This is being developed under a very tight deadline, and I'm perhaps over-tired (well, no perhaps about it), but I can't think of a better way to say it, except to say "the student will be exposed to..." - but since this is a very intense seminar, designed for experts in their field and geared to prepare them for a certifying exam, "exposed to" seems overly wishy-washy and not strong enough.

What is a better way of saying this? "We will teach..."?

Regards,
Becca
"People do get hypnotized by the hard choices. And stop looking for alternatives. The will to be stupid is a veryÂpowerful forceâ"

Brothers in Arms, Lois McMaster Bujold
From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help sample with DISQUS for user commenting?

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n