Re: Hiring TW without a test

Subject: Re: Hiring TW without a test
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:32:04 -0700

I've had editors tell me they can recognize my writing from the amount of grammatical and spelling corrections needed relative to other writers whose work they are editing, and when I write from a clean slate I tend to favor loose sentences, but don't most technical writers?

Probably the most telling personal preference is my distaste for the words "either" and "neither."

Be happy to send you some samples offline if you'd like to try your hand at picking me out from others.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 3/20/2013 10:45 AM, Robart, Kay wrote:

I really doubt that your style varies that much from one job to another that someone wouldn't be able to tell that the same person wrote it. Of course I follow a style guide. If you have certain grammatical patterns in your writing, they're going to come out no matter what you write.

As a sometimes editor who has had to rewrite the same types of passages from the same authors time after time, and as someone who as scrutinized a lot of writing samples in hiring, believe me, you can tell.

EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z