Scrum as a Job Requirement

Subject: Scrum as a Job Requirement
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: "Charlotte Branth Claussen" <charlotteclaussen -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 13:39:50 -0500

Here is one that came today.

> Prior experience authoring IT documentation within the Agile SDLC

>From what I have read on scrum, it is basically a policy of daily meetings of the team, to be sure no one is lost and that everyone is accomplishing something. I know that is a great simplification of the process, but really, does anyone think they couldn't work in a group that has regular meetings so we can keep progress flowing?

On many projects I have been on, I have been handling multiple projects, so there would be some days I may not work on Project ABC as I was working on XYZ that day due to meetings or access to the system, so I wouldn't have progress on a daily level. But saying I couldn't do a daily meeting is preposterous.

Now other sites list scrum not so much as daily meetings but as sprints, which can be defined as almost any length, such as week sprints, two-week sprints, and so on. The idea is the product is more or less a deliverable at the end of each sprint and is re-evaluated as to being on track in case the direction of the company or product has changed.

That is almost like saying the job requirements are:

1. Must attend meetings with team
2. Must attend meetings with boss
3. Must be able to use a computer
4. Must be able to travel between buildings for meetings

I think we have been naming too many things to promote self-importance when the reality is getting the job done and done right is the only real value. Just because someone hasn't done scrum doesn't mean they couldn't do it. It isn't like you need to go for a 4 year degree in it.

It would be better to say.

1. We have weekly meetings to access where we are.
2. At these meetings, you need a functioning draft.
3. The direction of the product could change at any meeting, and you must be flexible to change.