Re: Typical Salary in Toronto

Subject: Re: Typical Salary in Toronto
From: Editor in Chief <editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: David Harrison <dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 13:05:24 -0500

I just looked at my end-of-last-year summary.
Approximately 37 percent of my gross salary went to items such as you
mention.
I'm in Ontario. but not in Toronto.
So, my income and other taxes and deductions are the same as yours would
be, roughly, but since I'm in Ottawa, my expenses are slightly lower. At
last count, I believe Toronto was the second- or third-most expensive city
in Canada. The others being way over on the lotus-land left coast. Ottawa
comes in a wee bit lower on the list.

In addition to income and other taxes, we all pay a VAT that we used to
call GST (federal government Goods and Services Tax) and PST (Provincial
Sales Tax), but which was amalgamated in many provinces to become the HST
(Harmonized Sales Tax. In Ontario, that's 13 percent of every transaction,
with the exception of basic foods, mostly of the unprocessed sort, like
meat, veggies and fruit. Buy your apples, sugar, flour, etc. and pay no
HST on that. Buy your apple pie already baked and packaged, and pay HST.
There was an exemption for "restaurant" prepared foods below some small
dollar amount, but that'd be the cheapest items at a fast-food place or a
street vendor. Absolutely everything else - goods or services - is taxed.
Gasoline/petrol and booze are taxed on tax.

If you are coming from London, you're probably fine.
If you are coming from some less-expensive UK city/town/village, with an
income that works there, then you might find the same salary tight if you
live and work in TO.

Also, Toronto - when you include the usual suburbs - is rather sprawling,
and has significant traffic problems. You'll want to get together with
somebody who lives there, for a chat to decide where you want to live, with
respect to where you'll be working. Real-estate is expensive near GoTrain
stations. Automobile commuting and public transit commuting are lengthy and
onerous if you choose to live away from the train or major transit hubs,
but your long commutes are traded for lower property costs (purchase or
rent). Well, same idea in any major city.

The worst situation, commute-wise would be living in one suburb and working
in another that's on the opposite side of Toronto proper. Best might be
living in the same 'burb where you work, but with your house or apartment
closer to Toronto center than your office... so you'd always be commuting
in the opposite direction of the major traffic.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 3:48 AM, David Harrison <dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com>wrote:

> I could soon be looking at an intra-company move from UK to Toronto Canada
> and have to start looking at possibilities. Highest on my list of unknowns
> is the double edged question is "What could I expect to earn (or ask for)"
> in Toronto area and then "What does that translate to, in take home pay?"
> I have seen earlier talks about typical salaries in the past but I have no
> knowledge of average Canadian taxation. In UK my monthly salary is reduced
> by about 30% for Income Tax, National Health and Pension contributions. So
> what is left in the average Canadian of you monthly salary?
> If any want to reply personally, rather than to group, with some "typical"
> before and after figures for Toronto area, I would be most grateful .
>
> Cheers guys

> David Harrison | Controllers
> Mold-Masters (UK) Limited | Global Hot Runner and Temperature Control
> Technology
> Netherwood Road | Rotherwas Ind. Est. | Company Registration Nr: 1912861
> Hereford | HR2 6JU | United Kingdom
> Tel: +44 (0) 1432 265 768 | Fax: +44 (0) 1432 263 782
> dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com<mailto:dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com> |
> www.moldmasters.com<http://www.moldmasters.com>
> [Ihr globaler Hei?kanalpartner // Your global hot runner partner]<
> http://www.moldmasters.com/>

> Sent on 04.03.2013 09:48 by David Harrison

> This email and any files transmitted with it are
> confidential and intended solely for the use of
> the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
> If this email has been received in error please
> delete it immediately and notify the sender.
>
> Mold-Masters (2007) Limited
> www.moldmasters.com
> EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips
> for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets,
> smartphones, and more.
>
> Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

__o
_`\<,_