Re: scroogled?

Subject: Re: scroogled?
From: sphilip <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 00:23:35 +0700

Not being an American, I wasn't aware of the Petraeus story. I mean, I'd vaguely seen some headlines, but hadn't read the details. I picked the 'use drafts/share email account' trick up on Ars Technica or somewhere like that in a discussion about security and hacktivism.

I take on board the points others have made that, of course, your drafts are sitting on a hard drive (+ multiple redundant backups) somewhere, so of course it's not "secure". As the infosec folk like to say, "security" is relative to the kind of threats that are realistic in your domain. Ain't no such thing as 'being totally secure' in any area of life. Computer security techniques are just another version of securing your home. You do what you can in light of what seems reasonable/convenient/cost-effective given the worth of what you're trying to protect; however, ultimately, anyone with the resources and the desire can get past any defence you care to erect.

Best

Phil
http://applehelpwriter.wordpress.com

On 26 Feb 2013, at 20:34, James Leatherwood <JLeatherwood -at- aflac -dot- com> wrote:

> You might want to ask General Petraeus and his mistress how that "Sharing a Draft Folder" thing worked out for them.

EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z