Re: Yahoo!'s telecommute policy

Subject: Re: Yahoo!'s telecommute policy
From: Editor in Chief <editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:44:25 -0500

If you live outside a certain radius from your job, you might have some tax
break or other. But that'd be a heluva long commute to qualify.

For sales and travelling techs, that's another story.

I think the corporate push toward-or-away-from telecommuting depends a lot
on the company's current leasing situation.

If they have a favorable lease (good rates, etc.) with lots of time left,
there's likely less pressure to permit/encourage telecommuting.

If the lease is due and rates are high, it's much more attractive to keep
the effective head-count (that is getting the work done) while reducing
physical bums-in-seats.

The floor space can be diminished drastically, along with utilities and
services. You can stay in a lower-rent neighborhood for less, or you can
move to upscale corporate digs, for the same amount of money (when you need
less space).

After a few years of this trend, once it has become the norm, owners of
office space will clue to the fact that a software company with a majority
of work-from-homes is not a big profit center, since the biggest remaining
tenant footprint is lab space, which demands the bulk of air-conditioning.
Most tenants pay their own utility fees, but many buildings have
whole-building central AC, not individual AC units per tenant.

In some buildings, there'll be a trend toward putting a separate multi-ton
AC unit on the roof for each tenant. Those would be one-and-two-storey
buildings, mostly, where tenant footprint corresponds to a section of roof
overhead.

In other buildings, where that's not feasible (multi-storey towers), rents
and fees will have to rise generally (if demand permits).

Techwriters work for software companies or hardware-and-software companies,
who are not already accustomed to virtualization will need to become aware
and comfortable. There might be other issues, as well. For example, I
maintain some systems with our product installed at the company office, in
order to document the product. Certain aspects don't currently work over
VPN, meaning that I must commute to the office every-so-often to press a
couple of buttons and view something on a little screen, before returning
home. Or I have to call in, and hope to catch an in-office employee in a
good mood to go to my cubicle and press buttons for me.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Cardimon, Craig <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>wrote:

> I doubt the price of gas matters that much. From what I've read, those are
> considered the costs you pay for having a job. It costs money to work.

__o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)
Don't go away. We'll be right back.