Re: Graphic apps with tablet (was RE: What graphics tasks do you perform?

Subject: Re: Graphic apps with tablet (was RE: What graphics tasks do you perform?
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:57:06 -0800

Kevin,

I used to own a consumer Wacom tablet at home, and I inherited the Intuos
tablet at my new desk. However, after playing with tablet pcs for years,
and my friend loaned me his Wacom Cintiq 21UX tablet screen, I will NEVER
recommend a disjointed digitizing tablet again. I'm looking into a Cintiq
24H Touch.

Yes, I've been spoiled. But the pairing of my friend's tablet and Manga
Studio was addictive.

But as for general purpose software, GIMP is great for bitmaps, and
Inkscape is my go to vector tool.

-Tony

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013, McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:

> Oooo! Oooo! <waving hands> (separating this tangent from my other
> replies to this thread)
>
> I am ->||<- THIS CLOSE to finally deciding to treat myself to a Wacom
> Intuos tablet.
>
> Is GIMP a good match? I'd like to do a lot of basic photo and bitmap
> tasks that are painful with a mouse, as well as maybe try air-brush and
> other effects.
>
> Also, is there a good open-source (and free-or-cheap) VECTOR-drawing tool
> (so... not AI) that would also go well with a middle-sized Intuos tablet
> and a small assortment of specialty pens/styli?
>
> I'm a decent sketch-ist with a pencil, and I'd like to transfer that skill
> to computer (via Intuos and an appropriate application). Yes, I know it's
> outdated and apps can now render a photo as a "pencil sketch" better than I
> could do from scratch with a real pencil on paper... or at least as well...
> but sometimes I want to do things that aren't exactly in an existing photo.
> We're talking both hobby and work.

EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z