Re: Recruiting dilemma

Subject: Re: Recruiting dilemma
From: john -dot- x -dot- posada -at- us -dot- hsbc -dot- com
To: salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 16:35:18 -0500

> I sent to the recruiter on Sunday afternoon. I then phoned her yesterday
morning

You sent it on a Sunday, contacted her Monday morning, and you're wondering
why she wasn't on it?

Really?

Sounds like you have made a determination of her skills, professionalism,
career, life goals, and fingernails with almost no solid data. Hope she
doesn't do the same about you.

John Posada

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com> |
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To: |
|------------>
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date: |
|------------>
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|02/12/2013 04:05 PM |
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject: |
|------------>
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Recruiting dilemma |
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by: |
|------------>
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Having been with my present employer 4-1/2 years, I'm a senior techwriter
who received an unsolicited email from a young recruiter last Friday. The
salutation read, *"Hi there..."*. Having been jerked around by too many of
these types over the course of my career, I was initially put off by this
impersonal/unprofessional approach but decided to reply. It turns out that
the job *is* of interest for these reasons: salary, location and security.
I can guess that the health insurance coverage is better, too. The employer
is a major player in this state.

Over the weekend I invested several hours customizing my resume and
drafting a purposeful (T-form) cover letter. Along with a third doc
representing professional endorsements that relate to the open position,
these I sent to the recruiter on Sunday afternoon. I then phoned her
yesterday morning and, when inquiring about receipt confirmation, was told,
"Oh.... I have a ton of emails and haven't gotten to yours yet." I also had
to remind her who I was and the position for which she had initially
solicited *me* (no big deal here, although I could just envision her being
more concerned about the length of her nails than about my inquiry.) In
viewing her LinkedIn profile, it's clear that this gal is very young; I'm
guessing that her recruiting career aspirations don't command her attention
weekdays.

This morning I went to the website of the hiring party and saw that the
position is advertised there, along with a method to apply directly. I'm
really tempted to try an end-run here, as I've not heard boo from the
recruiter.

Your thoughts?

> Chris
STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel is giving a free webinar on best practices
for creating mobile help.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/WNaCzd

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as john -dot- x -dot- posada -at- us -dot- hsbc -dot- com -dot-

http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online
magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
This message originated from the Internet. Its originator may or
may not be who they claim to be and the information contained in
the message and any attachments may or may not be accurate.

errors or omissions.
SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!