RE: Screen captures

Subject: RE: Screen captures
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 08:58:09 -0800

Thanks, Leonard.

This seemed like a pretty pivotal paper at the time:

"APPLYING MINIMAL MANUAL PRINCIPLES FOR DOCUMENTATION OF GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACES," RONALD H. NOWACZYK & E. CHRISTOPHER JAMES, J. TECHNICAL WRITING AND COMMUNICATION, Vol. 23(4) 379-388, 1993

Hans van der Meij, John Carroll's collaborator on some early minimalist papers (and books?), did some later work on screen captures and I think he also mentored the doctoral student who specialized in this (at University of Twente), Mark Gellevij.

Here's his dissertation:
http://doc.utwente.nl/38689/

And a few additional papers:
http://doc.utwente.nl/view/author/239621743.html

I haven't had time to read a danged thing so don't ask me. :)

The sense I had gotten at the time is that nobody really had conclusive proof one way or the other, but if some enterprising soul actually has the time and desire to read these sources, he/she/you might find a good argument one way or the other.

Anecdotally, I sometimes find screen captures helpful when I'm stuck, but I just don't know if overall they're good or bad.

One thing I remember thinking is that the early work was done in the 90's and that seems a bit dated. Users have become more sophisticated. That may or may not sway the results. But I'd also be wary of the research done in the 2000's although that certainly seems more relevant.

And when you have one or two people specializing in these studies and nobody else (U. of Twente seems a hotbed for this, likely because of van der Meij), it seems insufficient to me.

Anyway... at least some research has been done, so that's a good thing.

If anybody reads this stuff, let us know how it goes and what you conclude. Thanks. I'm just a freaking librarian on these matters. :)

Steve